Around the world in eight gins
Gin is a quintessentially British spirit, but it is also a spirit that has travelled the world. As a result there are a growing number of fabulous artisan gins from all over the globe bringing new, unique and delicious dimensions to the spirit. As a result we have been inspired to create a new tasting menu, the World Gin Tasting menu, designed to send your taste buds travelling with eight carefully selected gins that showcase the depth, breadth and creativity of today’s artisan distillers from all around the globe.
It was a difficult job to narrow it down from the four hundred plus gins we currently have to just eight gins, with lots of comparative tasting required (a tough job but someone has to do it). Some of the countries we selected may come as a surprise however we are sure you will enjoy the result. All the gins are served as Copa Serve G&Ts with Fever Tree indian tonic
- APOSTOLES – an aromatic gin from Argentina, which we garnish with raspberry. Apostoles is made in a copper pot still using traditional gin botanicals juniper and coriander seed plus native botanicals including peppermint, eucalyptus, pink grapefruit and yerba mate, an evergreen rainforest tree whose leaves are used to make a tea-like drink popular in South America.
- DEATH’S DOOR – a savoury gin from the USA, which we garnish with pear & celery. Deaths Door is unusual in the world of gin, in that it uses only three botanicals, Juniper, coriander seed and fennel seed, however this gin show cases that a superb well-balanced flavour profile can be obtained from the skilful use of ingredients.
- DUKE OF MUNICH – a savoury gin from Germany which we garnish with celery. The Duke is made in Bavaria using 13 botanicals including juniper, coriander, angelica root, cinnamon, cubeb, caraway, Lemon peel, lavender, ginger root, orange blossom, hops and malt. It’s the latter 4 that give this gin a delicious and satisfying twist.
- KI NO BI – an aromatic gin from Japan which we garnish with plum. The first artisan Japanese gin, Ki No Bi uses a rice base spirit and a selection of Japanese botanicals sourced where possible from in and around Kyoto, the obligatory juniper accompanied by orris, ginger, bamboo leaves, red perilla, lemon peel, yuzu peel, sansho pepper, kinome leaves, Gyokuro green tea and Hinoki wood. A unique and delicious gin.
- NO 3 – a London dry gin from the United Kingdom which we garnish with an olive. When it comes to dry gins, it does not get much more quintessentially London Dry than No 3. Made by Berry Brothers and Rudd, the oldest wine merchants in England using six botanicals, Juniper, coriander Seed, cardamom, Angelica Root, Grapefruit and Sweet Orange.
- RUTTE DRY – a dry gin from Netherlands which we garnish with a wedge of lime. A small batch gin made in Dordrecht using juniper, coriander, angelica, orris root, cassia, bitter orange peel, sweet orange peel and fennel.
- PINK PEPPER – an aromatic gin from France which we garnish with a lemon slice. Made in Cognac from 9 botanicals including juniper, pink peppercorn, cardamom, cinnamon, infusions of honey, vanilla and tonka bean, a wonderful combination of aromatic spice and smooth sweetness.
- THE WEST WINDS SABRE – an aromatic gin from Australia which we garnish with an orange slice. Made with a combination of 12 traditional and native australian botanicals which include juniper, coriander seed and root, orris, angelica root, liquorice, all spice, lemon peel, lime peel, cinnamon myrtle, lemon myrtle and toasted wattle seed. Bright, aromatic and citrus and a rounded mouth feel.
Our tasting menus are great to share, so come along and give your tastebuds a vacation without the hassle of having to pack, take a trip around the world in eight gins at the London Gin Club.